Where do I start?
Go to Getting started at UQ and follow the steps to make sure you are ready before week 1.

How do I choose which courses to enrol in?
Firstly, view the undergraduate program outlines which will assist you in choosing your courses. Simply choose the year that you began your study to view the study sequence.  If you are still confused, please contact nmsw@uq.edu.au for further assistance.

How do I enrol?
Firstly, we recommend that you read the enrolment guide for new students to assist you in completing your enrolment via mySI-net. If you are still having difficulties, contact the student centre on 3365 2600 (8:30am - 5:00pm Monday to Friday).

Where do I get my timetable?
You can access your timetable via mySI-net. Note: you do not need to login to view your timetable, simply select "Course and Timetable Info" from the left hand menu.

How do I know which courses I should be doing each semeter?
Go to the Programs & Courses database (click "STUDY" on the top of any UQ webpage). Search for your program and when you find it click on the green Course List button. Make sure to change the year at the top of the screen to the year you started your program ("Show information for:") so you are looking at the courses (and rules) that are right for you.

How can I change my courses?
Check, first of all, that you really want to change courses. You might discuss your decision with your academic advisor or lecturer. Check the important dates, noting the dates for changing courses without incurring academic or financial penalty. See the Student Centre in order to change subjects.

Where can I get second-hand text books?
The Student Union Bookshop, in the Union Complex, has second-hand textbooks available at only 2/3 of the price of a new book. Check the noticeboards in your department, as students often use these to advertise their old text books.

What's the best time for joining clubs and societies?
You can join clubs and societies at any time of the year but the best time to join is at the start of the semester. All clubs have membership stalls to provide you with information on Market Day in Orientation (or Re-Union Day, at the start of second semester). You will have the opportunity to meet people with similar interests and extend your group of friends through the clubs.

What's the best way to learn how to use the library?
During Orientation week, go on a Library tour and attend a "Surfing the Cybrary" session. A range of training courses - are offered by the Library and continue on after O-week.

Is there anyone who can help if I have financial difficulties?
Yes. Student Services is able to give financial help to students. Student Support Services are located on each of the campuses. You will also be able to find information and advertisements about part-time and casual jobs from the Student Employment Resources Organiser at the Student Union.

I need to find some accommodation outside of home. How do I go about that?
Student Services have a very informative, interactive database which is ideal for searching for off campus accommodation. You'll also find that many students advertise on noticeboards if they have spare rooms in sharehouses. On campus accommodation in colleges or halls of residence is available on the St Lucia and Gatton campuses.

Can I get Austudy if I'm living away from home?
Depending on a number of factors, you may be able to receive study entitlements, check the full details with Centrelink. The Welfare Organiser at the Student Union can also offer information and assistance with regard to Austudy.

Blue Card

What is a Blue Card?
If you work with children you need a Blue Card. Blue cards are issued by the Commission for Children and Young People and Child Guardian. The Commission carries out a Working with Children Check to see if a person is eligible to work in child-related work. If a person is eligible, they are issued a positive notice letter and a blue card. Find out more.

How can I get a Blue Card?

To get a Blue Card:

  • Download the Student Blue Card application form
  • Complete sections C and D
  • Bring the form and two forms of identification (e.g. driver’s licence and Medicare card) in to the School office

School staff will complete sections A and B, and submit the form for you. School staff can also submit renewal applications for current card holders.


What immunisation do I need in order to study nursing or midwifery at UQ?
Students must meet the Hepatitis B immunisation requirements of Queensland Health and meet the School of Nursing and Midwifery’s immunisation guidelines. You will need to provide evidence that your immunisation is current. An Immunisation Declaration must be completed by your General Practitioner, and the original document returned to the School of Nursing and Midwifery prior to the commencement of classes.

Uniforms for placement

What am I supposed to wear for clinical practice?

When you are on clinical practice, you must wear:

  • A UQ Nursing or Midwifery polo shirt;
  • Smart navy trousers, shorts or skirt with the uniform shirt (denim jeans are not acceptable);
  • Fully enclosed lace-up shoes in either black or navy (to comply with Occupational Health policies).

Trousers, shorts or skirts in a gabardine or polyester fabric, and with at least one pocket, work best.

Policies and procedures

Where do I go for UQ's policies and procedures?
The MyAdvisor website is a very useful source of essential information for students.

What should I do if I miss a lecture or tutorial? What if I miss more than one or two?
The attendance of lectures is encouraged as you will learn complex concepts by interacting with your lecturers and fellow students. If you have difficulty in attending lectures, please contact the course co-ordinator. If you have missed tutorials contact your tutor as soon as possible.

What do I do if I fail a course?
Visit the MyAdvisor website to investigate your options. You may be eligible to sit a supplementary assessment.

What if I can't make it to my exam?
You may be eligible to apply for a deferred examination.