Year of the Nurse and Midwife - Meet the students

17 Jun 2020

2020 is the Year of the Nurse and Midwife, and as part of our year long celebrations we asked a number of our nursing and midwifery students for their perspective on why nurses and midwives are so important, and what drew them to the professions.

Cartia

First year Bachelor of Nursing student

Why did you choose to study nursing?

Nursing is such a broad field of study which encompasses so much meaning towards helping people through a holistic approach. I love helping people and seeing people improve both their mental and physical wellbeing whether that be through sickness or not.

Tell us about your favourite memory as a nursing student so far.

Although I haven't attended placement yet, I have loved learning new clinical skills during CBL's and also learning so much about the diversity within cultures.

Abigail

Third year Bachelor of Midwifery student

Why did you choose to study midwifery?

My mother is a midwife and hearing the stories that she would bring home made me so much more empathetic to the journeys women would go through during pregnancy, birth and postnatal. This passion in caring for women (and loving babies!) drove me to study midwifery, and since my first day I honestly cannot imagine doing anything different.

What does being a midwife mean to you?

Being a midwife, to me, means being passionate about women's health and their care. It means doing everything in your power to give them the birth experience that they are hoping for, and to advocate for them when able. It means giving accurate and reliable education that is evidence-based, and doing everything you can to ensure a mother is comfortable in looking after her newborn from the moment she steps out the doors of the hospital.

Joey Lee

First year Bachelor of Nursing student

Why did you choose to study nursing?

For a fulfilling career and to make a difference.

When my patient told me I'll make a great nurse one day.

What does being a nurse mean to you?

It means being able to make a positive impact with my life.

Cecily

Third year Bachelor of Nursing and Midwifery

Why did you choose to study nursing?

My mum always spoke openly about the birth of myself and my brother. One not so positive experience and one beautiful, uplifting and full-filling experience. It amazed me how well mum remembers details about her births. The way she spoke about her midwives, made me realise how much of an impact this profession has on a woman's life.

Tell us about your favourite memory so far.

My favourite memory is my first primary accoucher. I had been waiting and waiting to get my first birth, and every birth-suite shift would end with no birth. When I was finally privileged to birth this woman's baby, I felt confident and composed. And I just thought, "I have finally done it!".

What does being a midwife mean to you?

I means being there for the woman. I means supporting and uplifting in any way shape or form. I feel fulfilled, accomplished and proud when practising.

Kelly

Bachelor of Nursing student

Why did you choose to study nursing?

I wanted to join the Air Force at the time! But as I went through my degree I just decided I loved being a nurse in the hospital.

We had a patient who was transferred from Caboolture to Brisbane. She was very unwell and needed a major operation that had a very slim chance of being successful. She was in theatre for many hours that night and I did not expect to see her when I came back the next day. But she was, and the decision was made to wake her up and pull out her breathing tube. I looked after her all that day while she came around. I spoke to her and reassured her constantly and chatted to her family. Unfortunately I did not get the breathing tube out that day but it came out a few days later. When she woke up she called me over to tell me about what she remembered of that first day. She said she thought I was an angel coming to take her, she said she wasn't afraid, she was calm because I was talking to her so gently and made her feel safe. She presented me with a stuffed puppy dog to give to my unborn baby (I was pregnant with my first child). I still have this puppy and I will never forget this patient and her fight.

What does being a nurse mean to you?

Being a nurse is important to me. I love being able to help people when they are in need. Being a nurse is also a privilege, to be there when someone is waking up out of anaesthetic or to be with someone as they take their last breaths can be very special.

You can find more information about studying nursing and midwifery at UQ at
the Future Students website.